Saturday, October 3, 2009

The 5 Types of Bloggers

1. Bad: People who blog on the topic and then Digg their OWN post instead of the original.

I almost put this in the “sleazy” category, but I guess it’s sort of borderline. It seems to me if the topic is Digg-worthy, it should be the original article or post that gets Digged. Unfortunately, that’s often not the case.

2. Sleazy: People who don’t ask to republish but do it anyway, and don’t even link back!

When they don’t even put the original author’s name on it, I believe it’s copyright infringement. If they do mention the author’s name, but never link back to them in some manner, it’s pretty sleazy in my book.

3. Sleazy: Scrapers who link or don’t link, but add contextual link ads and other crap to the content.

Unfortunately, this is extremely prevalent these days. I would guess that a good portion of those 93,000 results in Google fall into this category. I can’t imagine those pages actually get any traffic, so I’m not sure what the point is.

The next 2 don’t quite fit into the good, bad, or sleazy categories, but were additional types I noted:

4. Strange: People who blog but somehow get their facts wrong.

One post got the name of the organization (SEMNE) wrong and called it SEMPO. I’m not sure why or how, as it was right there in black and white. I don’t believe there was any malicious intent going on, but it was strange nonetheless. (It was corrected immediately upon notification, so that was good!)

5. Dumbasses: People who just blog it cuz everyone else is.

Good blog posts are good for a reason. Simply writing about something because everyone else has is not a good blog post. ‘Nuff said!

And on that note, I implore you to look at your own blogging practices to see if you fit in any of the categories above. If so, here’s hoping it’s one of the good ones!

No comments: